Things to know
- Heroin, Opium, Alcohol, Cannabis and Propoxyphene are the five most common drugs abused by the children in India(Childline India Foundation)
- Other than these children have products such as cough syrups , whitener, pain relief ointment, glue , paint , gasoline, wet carbon paper , mixture of fibre matting and boiling toothpaste are abused by children
- Substances can be abused in different ways. Substances may be chewed, swallowed, placed on mucous membrane, injected, smoked or inhaled.
Consequences for children
Drug abuse is a social evil and the effects of it are at individual, familial and societal level
- Physical – accidents, convulsions , coma , infections including HIV, damage to body parts
- Psychological – delirium , memory and concentration problem, abnormal behaviour
- Social – rejection by peers, family , employers, exploitation and violence, crimes may be committed to obtain substance (WHO, 2000)
What can I do when I see a child abusing drug?
- Treat the child with respect and dignity
- Involve the local NGOs who are working on the issue or contact 1098
- Prevention of Illicit Traffic in Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances Act
- Juvenile Justice Act
To know more about Drugs Click here>>
- WHO (2000), “Working with street children : A training package on substance use, sexual and reproductive health including HIV/AIDS” , Geneva