Child Sexual Exploitation
Things to know
What can I do when I see a child who had experienced sexual exploitation?
- Children can be sexually exploited irrespective of gender.
- With the increased exposure and use of internet by children, the children are vulnerable to online sexual exploitation.
- The issue of child sexual exploitation is also linked with trafficking.
- A survey by India Today magazine indicate that there are between 400,000 to 500,000 child prostitutes in India.(UNICEF, 2001).
- The effect of sexual exploitation can be very damaging. Often the children, who had been sexually exploited grapple with feelings of low self esteem, feel inadequate and mistrust others.
- Children exposed to sexual exploitation are also vulnerable to substance abuse, physical violence, early pregnancy, sexually transmitted infections including HIV.
- The child should be treated with respect and dignity.
- Child’s confidentiality should be maintained.
- Child be medically examined and treated.
- Registration of case under IPC and JJ act.
- Involvement of social workers ,psychologists and child specialists when interacting with the child.
- UNICEF (2001), “Profiting from abuse” New York